Family recalls loving nature of Seattle mom killed by police

Whitcomb also told GeekWire that he was not directed by Seattle Police Chief Kathleen O'Toole or Mayor Ed Murray's office to end outreach with Twitch.

Friends and family members said the 30-year-old pregnant woman, who was shot and killed by Seattle police this week, was so much more than what authorities are saying.

The officers reported that Lyles, who may have been mentally ill, was holding a knife, though many questions remain. It seems that Merrick Bobb, the federal monitor overseeing Seattle police reforms, needs to reopen his investigation.

But the other officer replied, 'I don't have a Taser, ' according to the police audio of the shooting. Two officers, rather than one, went to the apartment because of her prior history with police.

Officers fired their weapons after yelling "Get back" several times.

The mother of four said in the call that she had gone to a store and come home to find someone had broken in.

Police said McNew was hired in 2008 and Anderson joined the department in 2015.

Lyles had been in counseling, with and without her children, and she had obtained housing past year after fighting homelessness for a decade, court records indicate.

Security footage from the building's hallway showed the two officers standing outside before they began speaking with Lyles on June 18.

Police say 34-year-old Steven McNew and 32-year-old Jason Anderson were the officers who shot Charleena Lyles on Sunday. Shots were heard in the audio.

But he said that he wouldn't have used it in that situation because he was trained to use lethal force when being attacked by someone with a knife.

Hundreds of people turned out for a protest march Tuesday night, and responses from the city's mayoral candidates after Lyles was killed included calls for improved mental health systems, further changes in police training and demands for transparency in the shooting's investigation.

Lyles' family attorney James Bible criticized the release of the video Thursday and questioned the department's motives.

A previous version of this story incorrectly said no one had left or entered the apartment in the hours before the shooting.

McNew and Anderson are now on paid administrative leave while the shooting is under investigation.

  • Bernice Underwood