Trump administration and Puerto Rico officials clash over hurricane relief

Lin-Manuel Miranda slammed Donald Trump in a series of tweets Saturday morning after the president attacked the mayor of San Juan in hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico.

"It's the largest (response) that we've done since Katrina and I think it's appropriate", Christie said, referring to the hurricane that devastated New Orleans and the region in 2005.

On the island of Puerto Rico, thousands of people are still in need of food, water and power in the wake of Hurricane Maria.

He also suggested that Cruz had been told to criticize the president by "the Democrats" after earlier praising the relief efforts.

'Damn it, this is not a good-news story, ' Cruz told CNN.

Recovery efforts in Puerto Rico are ongoing.

Other Trump administration officials offered the same sentiment.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said Trump waived the Jones Act in response to a request from the island's governor, Ricardo Rossello.

Around the same time that Trump was on Twitter, Cruz tweeted thanks to the politicians who had seen what San Juan needed first hand.

The complaints came eight days after Hurricane Maria slammed into the United States territory of 3.4 million people, destroying much of the island's infrastructure.

This spat with the San Juan mayor won't be preventing the president from traveling to Puerto Rico with First Lady Melania Trump on Tuesday to survey the damage.

"We are dying, and you are killing us with the inefficiency and the bureaucracy", Cruz said in a tearful speech.

DHS Secretary Elaine Duke Duke said: 'I know it is really a good news story in terms of our ability to reach people and the limited number of deaths that have taken place in such a devastating hurricane'.

The tweets come after White House denial of a Washington Post report that claimed the administration "went dark" for four days last weekend after the president left for his resort in Bedminster, New Jersey. "This is a people are dying story".

The Category 4 hurricane, which made landfall on September 20, left many of Puerto Rico's 3.4 million residents without access to food, water, health services and electricity. It's a life-or-death story'.

Meanwhile water and food rations are improving, and telecommunications have been restored to about 30 per cent of the island.

  • Sylvester Abbott