Japan to give aid to Myanmar for Rohingya return

In a statement on Facebook, Myanmar's military commander, Min Aung Hlaing, said the slain Rohingya were "Bengali terrorists" who were part of a larger group of 200 that attacked Myanmese soldiers with sticks and swords a year ago.

During a meeting on Friday, Kono asked Suu Kyi's government to allow humanitarian and media access to the affected area, the resettlement of returned refugees, and the implementation of recommendations made by former U.N Secretary-General Kofi Annan.

The military announced on Dec 18 that a mass grave containing 10 bodies had been found at the coastal village of Inn Din, about 50 km north of the state capital Sittwe.

More than 650,000 Rohingya have arrived in Bangladesh since August 25 after Myanmar's security forces launched what the United Nations has called ethnic cleansing in the country's Rakhine state.

Myanmar security forces took part in a massacre of 10 Rohingya in September, the army chief's office said late Wednesday, as it admitted for the first time abuses during a crackdown that sparked a mass exodus of the Muslim minority. The army appointed a senior officer to investigate. They claim the killed Rohingyas were captured by security forces after they clashed with the military.


A statement posted on the official Facebook page of the Burmese armed forces sets out details of the killing of alleged Rohingya militants, who have launched small-scale attacks on security forces.

The Rohingya people have been previously targeted during 1999 and 2012, and the Karenni people suffered a similar fate when their villages were burned and they faced massive killings that forced them to flee to Thailand. According to the statement, there were "no conditions" to hand the ten captured "bengali terrorists" over to the police, so "it was chose to kill them". The use of the term "Bengali" is the commonly used term for Rohingya in Burma as it implies they are illegal immigrants from Bangladesh, despite them living in Burma for generations. "This incident happened because ethnic Buddhist villagers were threatened and provoked by the terrorists".

Villagers had dug a pit and the men were ordered to enter it, where they were shot by the security forces. The same officer had been in charge of a wider probe into the conduct of troops in the conflict that concluded in a report in November that no atrocities had taken place.

James Gomez, Amnesty International's Southeast Asia and Pacific director, said the acknowledgement marked "a sharp departure from the army's policy of blanket denial of any wrongdoing".

  • Tracy Klein