More than 100 Nigerian schoolgirls remain missing
- Author: Tracy Klein Feb 26, 2018,
Feb 26, 2018, 9:26
Information Minister Lai Mohammed, who was part of a delegation of ministers who met parents and teachers in Dapchi and announced the number of missing girls, also said police and security officials had been deployed to schools in the state.
The NAF in a statement by Air Vice Marshal Olatokunbo Adesanya, Director of Public Relations and Information, said it had deployed some ISR platforms and helicopters to search for and possibly locate the missing girls as well as the rogue Boko Haram Terrorists (BHTs).
It is totally unreasonable and callous for the government to preoccupy itself with fairy tales, claiming that some of the girls yet to be accounted for might be hibernating in the villages to which they fled after the onslaught on their college, instead of making serious efforts to track their whereabouts. The Hon. Minister of Interior made it clear that we will bring succor to the parents but we need to work with the parents, security, state government and everybody. When our daughters were abducted in Chibok, only God understood how I felt and I can imagine how you also feel, and the trauma you are going through. We share the grief of parents whose daughters are taken by this unfortunate incident.
The students were said to have disappeared from the school after gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram terrorists invaded the school on Monday.
She said she was washing when she heard gun fire and saw what appeared to be soldiers in vehicles.
Yobe Governor Ibrahim Gaidam on Friday put the number of missing girls in Dapchi at 84, but family members quickly refuted that, releasing a list of more than 100 names.
"What happened in Dapchi was that prior to the sad incident, I didn't know that the military personnel at Dapchi were withdrawn about a week earlier".
"We began jubilating but the story of the rescue turned out to be false", one of the parents, Adamu Alhaji-Deri, said.
Emerging facts show that principal actors in the negotiation with Boko Haram's two factions include the government of Switzerland, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), other international Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs), security and counter-terrorism consultants, others in the shadowy world of subterfuge and of course, Nigerian government officials. They later admitted that the claim was based on information that was "not credible" and had been provided by "one of the security agencies involved in the fight against Boko Haram".
He said the government was sending more troops and surveillance aircraft to the area to help the search.