Victor claims $1.5 billion lottery jackpot in US
- Author: Tracy Klein Mar 06, 2019,
Mar 06, 2019, 0:37
The victor of last year's $1.5 billion Mega Millions jackpot has come forward to claim their prize.
The victor has chosen to remain anonymous.
They opted to take a cash option one-time payment of almost $878 million, making this the largest jackpot payout to a single victor in USA history.
It says that is the largest jackpot payout to a single victor in United States history. The victor allowed a fellow customer to make a Mega Millions lottery ticket purchase in front of the victor while in line at the store, the commission said.
The drawing for the jackpot was held on October 23, 2018.
But the cash option payment chosen by the South Carolina Mega Millions victor amounts to a lump-sum total of US$877,784,124 - the largest jackpot payout to a single victor in USA history, the state lottery commission said.
Radler earned the nickname "The Lottery Lawyer" by representing winners of some of the largest lottery jackpots in the country including winners in lotteries of $254.2 million, $336.4 million, and $121.6 million.
An apparent random act of kindness lead to the winner's good fortune.
It was quite possibly the biggest lottery mystery in SC history.
Hans Blake, a SC investing expert, told the Greenville News that had the victor claimed their prize in October and picked the $878 million lump sun, that person could have already made more than $5 million off interest.
The winning ticket was sold between October 20 and October 23 of a year ago at the KC Mart convenience store in Simpsonville, a suburb of the SC city of Greenville.
Mr Patel said he would use the money to pay for renovations to the store in Simpsonsville as well as some of the six other convenience stores he owns.
The long delay for the victor to step forward for the SC prize had stoked months of speculation: had the ticker purchaser died?
Some theorised the victor was on the run from police and feared a background check if he or she won. The statement Monday gave no clue as to why the victor took his or her time to come forward.
Others speculated the winning ticket had been purchased by an office pool and was now the subject of litigation.
The winner's decision to come forward comes months after the October 23 drawing produced the winning numbers 5, 28, 62, 65 and 70. The store will receive a US$50,000 (NZ$73,322) bonus; the state will get US$61m (NZ$89m) in income taxes from the victor, the lottery organisation said.